>Aberdeen (U.K.) – Remote Working
The Learning and Development specialist is ultimately responsible for creating and continuously widening Carisma’s portfolio of training products. He/she will develop, deliver, implement, monitor and evaluate training programs and educational projects aimed at industrial and/or academic clients. This role involves analysing, designing and producing engaging and effective instructional materials in collaboration with subject matter experts and multimedia developers. This will be achieved through analysing customer requirements, designing appropriate instructional solutions in terms of content coverage and strategies, planning development of the online as well as in-class solution; identifying and contracting with subject matter experts for both content development and quality assurance, managing the development process to meet defined deadlines; creating and reviewing design maps; reviewing material and writing/editing assessments; packaging the final product.
Key Activity/Result Areas
- Project Management and Control: To plan, lead and monitor in-house development projects to meet specified quality criteria, on time and within budget. To collaborate closely with stakeholders on projects and progress. To plan and organise the testing, implementation and any necessary training associated with new product development. To identify and engage with relevant subject matters experts and outsourcing vendors for the development of content, multimedia components of the projects and for quality assurance of the various programmes/products developed
- Analyse Requirements: To perform and document detailed analyses including needs assessment, task analysis, content analysis, learner characteristic assessment, environmental review, and instructional analysis to ensure appropriateness of instructional materials. This involves direct liaison with the customer and subject matter experts, as well as with representative samples of the intended learner audience.
- Determine Learning Approach: To determine the appropriate learning approach (i.e. online learning, in-class learning, blended learning, coaching, lecturing, workshop/seminar, etc.) and delivery medium to be used for assigned projects based on information attained during the needs analysis phase and document the rationale for the medium selection (e.g. ppt slides, written learning notes, webinar, job aid, documentation, etc.).
- Design Content: To plan and produce designs for online and/or in-class learning materials and courseware. Apply the appropriate learning theory, instructional theory, and/or applications of media to instructional scenarios, structuring the courses into meaningful sections and arranging into a logical hierarchy or sequence. Determine the overall mix of media (text, graphics, audio, animation, video, etc.), required to deliver the content. Determine the hardware and software environment required for the delivery of the instructional strategy.
- Develop and Test Content: To identify subject matters and outsourcing vendors and manage engagement with them for the development of content and for quality assurance of the content. To ensure the instructional integrity of content development through systematic design and clear writing of scripts, narratives, and storyboards. Provide appropriate interaction and feedback and develop test items to adequately cover and accurately measure achievement of learning objectives. To prepare overall course scripts, bringing together text, interactions, audio and video scripts, image and animation specifications. To test the course with typical students and refine content as necessary to meet agreed specifications. This will require the production of initial prototypes to illustrate suggested treatments and to gain the acceptance of the customer.
- Measurement and Standards: To develop and maintain standards for instructional design and conduct quality assurance on instructional materials produced in-house by subject matter experts or by outsourcing vendors.
- Consultancy Support for Training Units: To provide consultation to clients in the application of instructional design and the use of technology in the delivery of instruction. To plan, develop and teach development workshops and other activities in areas of instructional design and in the use of specific learning technology tools.
- Research and Development: To conduct targeted research to develop the instructional design of interactive activities, simulations, animations, videos, and other course components to most effectively meet learning objectives. Contribute to the development and implementation of sound workplace practices to automate services and facilitate communications among workers and with customers and outsourced vendors. To continually explore new technologies for potential application to instructional problems and to provide direct supervision to trainees and junior team members.
- Maintain Courseware: To identify areas of weakness in courses based on measurement and feedback defined at the analysis stage and to implement improvements in the materials. To liaise with colleagues to ensure that all materials are documented accurately in the core curriculum mapping and reflected accurately in the learning management system.
Requirements Specific to this Position
- 2 years experience in the design and development of instructional materials and delivery of training to both academic and industrial audiences
- In depth knowledge of educational learning theories, models and taxonomies and principles of adult and practitioners’ education.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers to interpret needs and produce sound instructional materials.
- Broad and competent working knowledge of and experience with ICT as used in educational settings (technical ICT knowledge is not necessary).
- High level of expertise with software that facilitates the design of instruction (storyboards, flow charts, assessments, etc.) and the build of online courseware using professional authoring tools.
- Thorough knowledge and working experience of online global education projects and professional development programmes.
- The ability to confidently design, plan and deliver workshops and presentations to various stakeholders.
- Basic knowledge of HTML.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Preferred: post-graduate degree
- 2+ years experience
- Business consulting and/or training experience
- Research experience
- Demonstrated experience working in a non-structured, fast-paced, challenging and ever-changing work environment
- International experience.
- Industry experience: Oil & Gas (preferred), Manufacturing, Consulting, Research, Education & Training
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project etc.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong research and analytical skills including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources.
- Proficient with web and literature searches, synthesising analysing data.
- Ability to identify issues and to use sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems
- Ability to anticipate and plan for the requirements of a particular task and to execute the task in a timely manner.
- Outstanding communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports and communications with excellent spelling, grammar and punctuations and to articulate ideas in a confident, clear and concise style.
- Experience in using databases and electronic repositories to carry out research/find information.
- Innovative Thinker a must!
- Passion, personal alignment, and commitment to the mission and values of Carisma RCT.
- Keen to learn and advance
- Seek and can take criticism and feedback (even if not sugarcoated!)
- Extreme attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Business savvy and polished
- Superior organisation and problem solving skills
- Can work independently and be self-directed
- Self-motivated and a self-starter problem solver with a passion for excellence, ability to take initiative and get things done.
- Flexible, adaptable and holding a calm demeanour in challenging, demanding and ever-changing priorities
- Must thrive under pressure and be willing to handle significant workload, working a flexible schedule as circumstances dictate
- Excellent at communicating with stakeholders from public & private sector, industry, academia, etc.
- Effective time-management skills with ability to manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines and achieve targets
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Sound analytical thinking.
- Can work with a variety of personalities, cultures and nationalities
- Unyielding honesty, integrity and ethics
- Excellent English (written and spoken). Bi-lingual an asset (knowledge of Italian a plus)